Tuesday, January 22, 2008

My Chemical Romance CONCERT (Please mark)


Pictures taken by Melissa Chan of MCRmy SEA

During the month of October, school was about to end. I received a phone call from my cousin who told me that she heard from MTV that My Chemical Romance, my favorite band, is coming to Singapore. Luckily, I was at the computer at that time and went to sistic.com.sg to book the tickets. My friend who was living with me at that time and my younger brother who is six wanted to go too. After telling my mother the
people going, she booked a ticket for the reserved seating. At first, we had the first row seating but because my internet browser crashed, we got the fifth row instead. I was disappointed at that time but nevertheless, I still get to see My Chem.

During the November/ December holidays I went to Jakarta and Pekanbaru, both of which is in Indonesia, to visit my family. We hired a guitar teacher there and managed to play a show. But I could not wait until I came back on the 10th of December to prepare for the concert.

Finally, I reached Singapore. I rested for a whole day and was very excited about the show. I had found out that one of my friends had gotten a backstage pass and get to interview the band. I was very jealous but she promised she'd give me my favorite member, Frank Iero's, signature. The day finally came and I dressed in their t-shirt and my brother in a black shirt, which is a tradition of the fans. My mother drove me to the Singapore Expo as I see a parade of black-wearing people on the road. It excites me to see that there are a lot of fans that are coming to watch them.

I walked to the entrance gate because I did not need to line up. That was because my seat was reserved and it does not come on a first come first serve basis for my group. I saw a sea of black trying to get into the building. What was funny was people were wearing other band's t-shirts although it is their concert. While I was trying to find my way in, I saw two of my primary school teachers. I was surprised because they did not seem like ones who liked this kind of music. I greeted them and ironically, they said I was the one that does not look like one who like rock music. I shrugged my shoulders and entered the crowd. Luckily, I have my younger brother in front of me so I could use him as an excuse for space. Which worked very well.


Frank Iero. Photo taken by Melissa Chan of MCRmy SEA
I entered the building. It was cold yet full of excitement. One of the guitarists went out to do a sound check. The arena was filled with cheers. I can't see his face though. The arena darkened and cheers came from the crowd. The band came in and played their first song, "This is How I Disappear". The song list is different from their American Leg but they are very well ordered. They managed to bring the crowd into an excited mood and even get the boys to take their shirts off. We were jumping the whole time. Even my little brother. They ended the show with their popular song, "Famous Last Words".

That was the best day of my life and I will never forget it.